If you follow my Instagram account, you know that I'm a huge lover of all things makeup! When you have a passion for highlight and contour like I do, you need to make sure you're keeping your skin as healthy as possible. Below, you'll find the skin care routine that I perform each morning and night.
Important: What works for me may not work for your skin type. Make sure you're paying attention to your skin's needs and adapting this routine accordingly!
- Oil-based cleanser: My favorite is Neutrogena's Ultra Light Cleansing Oil. The packaging boasts that it "effortlessly and completely removes waterproof makeup, dirt & oil," and I'd say it does a pretty good job without me having to tug and pull at my face with a washcloth to get rid of stubborn mascara. I use 1-2 pumps and massage into my dry face and neck gently. Follow up with warm water to activate the oil mixture and remove dirt and makeup, then rinse with warm water.
- Foaming Skin for Sensitive Skin: Next, I use 1-2 pumps of Simple Foaming Cleanser. I like this cleanser because it picks up anything the oil cleanser might have left behind without stripping my face of its moisture. Rinse with cool water this time!
- After patting my face dry (NOT RUBBING!), I use Witch Hazel as my toner to do a final cleanse on my pores and knock out/prevent any irritations that might want to creep up. I use a small cotton pad to swipe the product over my face and neck.
- Once the toner dries, I apply a light serum under my eyes and lightly to the rest of my face. Match your serum to your specific skin concerns to keep everything balanced.
- I finish with a small amount of coconut oil. My skin can be very finicky, but since using the coconut oil I find that I have fewer breakouts and irritations. Find what works for you!
What did I learn from picking up this routine?
- You don't need all of that strong, abrasive, "wakes you up in the morning" stuff on your face. Save those things for every once in a while or as body scrubs in the shower. I have a St. Ive's scrub that I love using every other week, but I make sure that I stick with their "moderate" exfoliation products. That apricot scrub would scratch my face to DEATH! You don't need all that, sis.
- Moisturized skin= happy skin. I noticed that my skin only gets rowdy when I'm not drinking enough water and not moisturizing it the way I should. That combo always sends me into a red itchy mess, so at the first sign of itchiness I'll go and do steps 1-5 to start knocking out whatever it is that's irking my pores.
- Consistency for me has led to fewer breakouts. I'm able to spot treat and knock an irritation out with toothpaste in an hour or two because I keep up with the above routine. YES, toothpaste. I'm not buying a special spot treatment cream for something that happens every blue moon. Dab that minty freshness on and go about your business. Thank me later.